One Month Down

Wow, just like that we're through January and into February. We're officially 1/12 of the way through the year, and it seems like it just started! So, the question then is this - how are you doing so far this year? We all know the high percentage of New Years resolutions that are already shot, likely thrown out the window weeks ago before they even had a chance to take root. How are you doing with your 2016 goals? Are you anywhere near where you thought you would be? Have you made the progress you need to at this point to be on track for your year-end goals?

It is critical to take time consistently to review where you are and if you're doing the right things to achieve your goals for the year. Without keeping them top of mind and continually reviewing what we've accomplished so far, we have no idea if we're on track. Worse, if we're not on track, we don't know we're not, and we also can't figure out what needs to be adjusted to get back on track. Remember, you're not going to be one of those that looks back in December wondering where the year went and why your goals were not reached.

I do a quick overview of my goals every morning to remind myself of what I've set out to do. I also take a closer look at progress at least once a week, so I can see how I'm doing and make any adjustments. Once a month I sit down for a longer period of time and really dive into the details so I can discover what I can do better to accelerate hitting those goals. It's also important so I can make sure I'm not getting distracted by other projects that will not help me in reaching them, and to add back in any tasks that are necessary and may have been neglecting. Another important reason to do all these reviews is because, as you grow, as your business grows and as you are pursuing and changing, your goals may change as well. It's ok to adjust and change your goals throughout the year, as long as it's an intentional change for a new or better direction and not an afterthought or because you've slacked off and are behind.

Take some time this week, as we're now through the first month of the year, and assess how you're doing. If you're on track or ahead of schedule, great! If you're lagging behind, don't hang your head and give up! Figure out why and resolve to pick up the pace. Identify the things you need to be doing consistently to be where you need to be to reach your 2016 goals. You can reach those lofty goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simon Sinek: How Great Leaders Inspire Action

WSJ.com: Commercial Real Estate