- Visualize Positive Results - Our minds tend to naturally slant to the negative. We ask ourselves "what if they react in a negative way?" or "what if I say the wrong thing?" Replace those thoughts with "what if they react in a positive way?" or "what if I say exactly the right thing?" Assume positive results, and that's what you will have. Even if the result isn't exactly what you want, you'll find yourself seeing the positive side of the event.
- Don't Take Things Personally - A big reason people don't step out is because they take other people's reactions too personally. Most of the time, especially in business, it's not personal, so don't take it like it is.
- Build Your Knowledge - Grow in your skills and knowledge, and your confidence will grow along with it.
- Turn Negatives Into Positives - Spin things around, and take something that's negative and make it into a positive. For instance, salespeople are afraid of the word "no" because they are so focused on getting to the "yes". In this situation, know that with every "no" you get closer to another "yes". Make "no" goals instead of just "yes" goals. Each "no" is now getting you closer to your goal instead keeping you from it. It's all what your perspective is.
- Just Do It - Stop thinking about what could happen and just step out. You will be surprised with the results, as well as the confidence you gain in yourself. People beat themselves up over the things they know they should do but they don't. Just getting out there and taking action, regardless of the result, will build confidence and make it easier to do it again.
Everyone has a comfort zone. We also naturally want to stay inside that comfort zone. It feels safe. We trust what's inside that zone. But if we don't do things that are outside of this zone, we stop growing, and it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to accomplish our dreams or goals while only doing those things we feel comfortable with. It can be hard and will be uncomfortable to step outside your comfort zone, especially if it has been a while since you've done so. Here are a few tips to help you, wherever you may be at right now.