Keeping Things in Perspective

Given the recent event as a passenger on frontier flight 820, I thought I'd pass along some perspective gained from the experience. I know that when we heard the loud bangs and saw flames from the engine, most of the passengers, including myself, thought that we could be in our final minutes. We were all scared, and luckily we were able to get to the ground safely.

However, in those few minutes between the engines being struck and hearing from the pilot, a lot of things go through your mind about your life. What could I have done differently? What will my family do if this is it? Who will remember me and what will I be remembered for? I can tell you that these questions have been on my mind before, as I always want to make sure I am trying to live my life in a way that I can make a difference and leave a legacy. But these questions have increased even more in importance and have become at the forefront of my mind.

I can also tell you none of what went through my mind had anything to do with my business, my finances or any of my goals relating to my many endeavors. When it comes down to the end, none of that matters, and yet that is what we all (me included) tend to spend the most time and effort on. It's easy to make it seem like those things are more important than they are. We certainly spend more time on them than on the things we say are more important to us, like our family and friends. I know now more than ever that my main goal in achieving any kind of financial success is having the ability and the freedom to be able to spend as much time as possible with the people I love the most. Secondly it is to make as large of a positive impact in the lives of others as possible. The appealing aspect of having "things" and living comfortably is, although still a desire, not nearly what it has been in the past.

I hope it doesn't take an event like this to help you realize how important it truly is to look ahead at what you are setting up for those who come after you. What kind of legacy will you leave? What do you want to be remembered for? I encourage you to ask yourself these types of questions, so you know what your target is and can therefore make your choices accordingly. Also, don't forget how fragile life is. Any day could be your last. Only God knows when it will be. Don't dwell on it in a morbid way, but remember it so that you remember what is really important. Remember it so that you don't make things that aren't a big deal into something that is. Some things just need to be let go of. Some things aren't worth arguing about or holding onto. Life is too short. Plan for the future, for success, but always live life today as if it could be your last. Keep things in perspective of what is truly important in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simon Sinek: How Great Leaders Inspire Action

WSJ.com: Commercial Real Estate